"Marci - what time should I pick you up for the class tonight?"
"Oops - I can't make it. Cultural Night at the school tonight. Totally forgot."
Shit. I had to do it alone. Listen - I've gone to NYC and back...alone, so why couldn't I go to a simple class alone, right?
I pulled up to the home of Malinda Colletta, co-owner of Professor Chef in North Providence where the class was being held. As usual, I was running late, but I was psyched when I saw a young guy running for the door. Woohoo! He was late too - awesome! We both bullshitted each other ("Oh, I got a little lost in the neighborhood." "Ohhh, me too!") Finally, the last student showed up and the class began. (She was REALLY late which made us feel like we were on time. Not sure how that works, but anyway...)
I learned the following:
- Lye + water = HOT AND TOXIC!!!
- Goat farmers are interesting (that was the third student from Sweet Goat Farm)
- Ordering lye can land you on a government "naughty" list - make sure you are making SOAP!
- No matter how good the soap smells, you cannot eat it - no, really.
|Hardened & Sliced|
We made a Crock Pot Hot Process (CPHP) Apple Pie-Scented Soap that was absolutely intoxicating. If I didn't know any better, I would have eaten the soap for sure. All 3 of us got to take a tub of soap home to harden overnight, had the opportunity to make Bath Fizzies with a lavender scent and got the recipe for homemade laundry detergent. It was so much fun and it felt awesome to learn something new!
I can't give you the bath soap recipe as I'm no pro and I'm still learning. But you can save a fortune using the following recipe for laundry detergent.
- 1 Bar of Fels Naptha - (approx. $1.49)
- 1 Cup of Borax (Look for 12 Mule Borax) - (approx. $3.00)
- 1 Cup of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda (approx. $3.00)
- All of these items are available in your laundry detergent aisle at the grocery story
MORAL OF THE STORY: Take a class. Who cares how goofy or silly it seems? You can learn something new, meet new people, and come away with a cool new hobby!